Re: Virtual packages visavi Real packages

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 11:05:06AM +0200, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> The problem is that there's a REAL 'slapd' package on the Debian
> GNU/Linux APT archive(s) which seem to override _my_ virtual
> package(s).
>
> I would like to have my packages to override the 'original' one
> (they have A LOT newer version).

I'm pretty sure that apt's prioritising is based first on real vs. virtual,
with a real package always taking precedence.  Only then does apt decide
which version of the package to install.

The best you are likely to get is to create a slapd package, with
appropriately high version, which maybe depends on slapd2.0 or whatever.

- Matt