RFS: mpd - Music Player Daemon, and clients

Hello,

I've been actively maintaining Debian packages for the Music Player
Daemon project for the past few months.  This is my third try to get a
sponsor.  Don't feel obligated to sponsor _all_ of my packages since I
know it's a lot of work, see below ("To Potential Sponsors" section).

Feel free to give me feedback on my packaging as well as the packages
themselves.  I've been a dedicated user and contributor to the Music
Player Daemon project for over 6 months now, and will continue to use
and contribute to it.

I have the full support of the upstream authors, and have myself
contributed to the upstream development of mpc and mpd.

The package description for mpd is below, and also explains the goals of
the project.

Package: mpd
 Music Player Daemon (MPD) is a server that allows remote access for playing
 audio files (MP3, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, and Wave) and managing playlists. The
 design focus is on integrating a computer into a stereo system that provides
 control for music playback over a local network.  The goals are to be easy to
 install and use, to have minimal resource requirements (it has been reported
 to run fine on a Pentium 75), and to remain stable and flexible.
 .
 The daemon is controlled through a client which need not be run on the same
 computer mpd is running on.  The separate client and server design allows
 users to choose a user interface that best suites their tastes independently
 of the underlying daemon (this package) which actually plays music.
 .
 Currently supported clients include:
  - mpc: a command-line client ideal for scripting
  - gmpc: a GNOME/GTK2.2 graphical front-end
  - wmmp: a Window Maker dock app (WMmp)
  - phpmp: a PHP web interface (phpMp)
  - ncmpc: an ncurses-based interface

To Potential Sponsors:

Uploading only mpd and one of the clients is 'good enough' for now;
other clients can follow.  For the clients; mpc is probably the best
choice since it can run on any system and has simple packaging and
dependencies.

The clients need not be on the same computer that mpd is running and
vice-versa, so there are no Depends or Recommends relationships between
mpd and its clients, only weaker Suggests and Enhances relationships.
phpmp is the exception to this, and Recommends mpd since it is usually
run from the same server (requiring apache | httpd and php4) as mpd.

I'm also proposing that a new virtual package be created: mpd-client
This is tentative, and can be removed for the time being if it's overly
ambitious for an RFS :)

Packages ncmpc, mpc, wmmp, gmpc, phpmp all Provide mpd-client as a way of
accessing and controlling mpd, the daemon.

I have a good understanding of CDBS, Makefiles, shell scripting,
Debhelper, and the Debian packaging/build system as a whole.  All my
packages here use CDBS.

Licenses for all packages are GPLv2 or later

All packages are lintian and linda clean.

Packages are available at:

	http://des.petta-tech.bogomips.org/~eric/MusicPD/releases

APT URIS:

	deb http://des.petta-tech.bogomips.org/~eric/MusicPD/releases ./
	deb-src http://des.petta-tech.bogomips.org/~eric/MusicPD/releases ./

See above for the Package description of mpd.
Package descriptions for clients as follows:

Package: mpc
 MPC, music player command, is a command line tool to interface MPD, Music
 Player Daemon.  It is fast and lightweight like MPD, making it ideal for
 scripting commands and binding to hotkeys.  Completion for the BASH shell is
 provided.
 .

Package: gmpc
 A GNOME/GTK2.2 client for Music Player Daemon, it began life as traymp,
 a simple tray notification client and has grown into much more.
 Current features include:
  * Support for loading/saving playlists
  * File Browser
  * Browser based on ID3 information
  * Current playlist viewer with search
  * ID3 Information
 .

Package: wmmp
 WMmp is Window Maker dock application for controlling Music Player Daemon
 (MPD).  It is based on a WMxmms and has a similar LCD-style interface for
 controlling MPD.
 .

Package: phpmp
 phpMp allows users to connect and control Music Player Daemon, mpd on a local
 or remote machine from a web browser.  For example, it can be used to control
 a sitewide stereo system from multiple locations.  phpMp is configured by
 default to connect to a mpd process running on the same computer the web server
 runs on, but it can be easily configured to connect to mpd running on other
 machines.
 .
 phpMp is the original implementation by the MPD author, Warren Dukes.  phpMp2
 by David H. Bronke is in beta but also available as a snapshot.
 .

Package: ncmpc
 ncmpc provides the usual music player controls for controlling
 an MPD process running either locally or remotely.  It can edit the
 playlist, control playback, control volume like all the GUI clients,
 but avoids the bloat and dependencies of traditional GUI clients while
 retaining ease of use and performance.
 .
 This was originally known as mpc-ncurses.
 .

//end of descriptions

More about the Music Player Daemon project:

We are lively community of both hackers and users with an active web
page and discussion forum, bug tracker and IRC channel

The project homepage is at: http://www.MusicPD.org

WWW Forum: http://www.MusicPD.org/forum
Bug Tracker: http://www.MusicPD.org/mantis
IRC channel: #mpd on FreeNode (my nick is 'normalperson')

Thanks for reading!

--
Eric Wong                normalperson@yhbt.net
Petta Technology, Inc      eric@petta-tech.com