Re: release as a package or add to APT's file list?

Jarno Elonen wrote:
> ..and the said utility script looks like this:
>
> ------------------------------------
> source /etc/upgrade-system.conf
>
> echo "Updating available package lists..."
> apt-get -q=2 update

Are you randomizing your start time?  Look at cron-apt for an example.
Otherwise there is a high potential to cause a load spike and trigger
failures.  [Note that $RANDOM is a bash'ism.]

> echo -e "\nUpgrading installed packages..."
> apt-get $UPGRADEOPTS

Is UPGRADEOPTS upgrade?  Or dist-upgrade?  For 'testing' it would need
to be dist-upgrade, of course.

To make this script run the same when run interactively as well as run
from cron the following may be beneficial.  Or perhaps redirect the
input 'exec </dev/null'.

  export DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive

I also set the following in my scripts.  But I have a huge pool of
machines.  Getting the same mail from each and everyone of them is a
D-DOS attack on me.  :-) I only mention it for those others like me
with a large number of machines in a pool and trying to do automatic
updates.

  export DEBCONF_ADMIN_EMAIL=""

[I need to file a bug against ssh not to complain if telnetd (not
telnetd-ssl) is installed.  That is what prompted that.  :-) ]

> echo -e "\nCleaning APT cache..."
> apt-get clean
>
> if [ -f /usr/bin/deborphan ]
> then
> 	echo -e "\nChecking for orphan files..."
> 	if [ `deborphan $ORPHANOPTS | wc -l | tr -d " "` = 0 ];
> 	then
> 		echo "No orphan file to be purged."
> 	else
> 		echo "Purging orphan files..."
> 		deborphan $ORPHANOPTS | xargs dpkg --purge

The --purge would make me nervous.  But I guess I should just file a
bug against gphoto2 since it always shows up in deborphan's output on
my system.  Something is strange about it.  But one can always hold
it to avoid that.

> 	fi
> fi
>
> if [ -f /usr/bin/update-menus ]
> then
> 	echo -e "\nUpdating menus..."
> 	update-menus
> fi
>
> echo -e "\nSystem upgrade completed."
> ------------------------------------

Some more random thoughts without much thinking...

In my own scripts I always set these options:

  APT::Get::Remove "false";

But by the use of deborphan above I know you don't want to disable
removing packages.  But I do and it makes the process much safer.  But
this next one you might want, at least the --force-confold part.  The
replace missing config file one has raised a lot of debate in the
past.

  DPkg::Options {"--force-confmiss";"--force-confold"};

Bob