Re: drbd package

Jeremy Lainé <jeremy.laine@polytechnique.org> writes:

>> Currently, the stable version of drbd is the 0.6.x series.  A new
>> version is on the way, the 0.7.x series.  I'd like to package the
>> new 0.7.x version in debian, but keep the 0.6.x series in Debian as
>> well. How should I go about this?
>
> If the 0.7.x series is going to be the development version for a
> while, maybe something à-la-Gimp like calling the package drbd0.7 (and
> having the date in the Debian version) would be appropriate.
>
> Otherwise, if the upstream development is pretty fast-moving, you
> could possibly use "drbd-cvs" as the package name (and still have the
> date in the Debian version). That way the ftpmasters wouldn't have to
> keep making changes to the override file.

The drbd 0.7.x series has been in development for some time now, and
is nearly ready for it's first "stable" release.  Another issue is
that upstream has said the 0.6.x version will never work with the
2.6.x kernel, so 0.7.x will be the only option for people wanting to
use the 2.6.x kernel and drbd.  As 0.7.x is just releasing its first
stable version, I would assume people using drbd would still want to
stick with the 0.6.x version for the forseable future.  However, I
would assume they also would want to begin to evaluate the 0.7.x
version.

The current source package is named drbd, and it currently yields 2
binary pacakges, drbd and drbd-source.  The binary drbd package
consists of userspace utils and documentation and the binary
drbd-source package contains the module source for building against
the 2.4.x kernel.

One approach I could take would be to create a new source package for
the 0.7.x series.  I'm just not sure if that is the correct approach,
or what I would even name the new source package.