Re: RFS: for several packages ;)

Bartosz Fenski aka fEnIo wrote:

On Sat, May 15, 2004 at 04:26:50PM -0700, Richard A. Hecker wrote:
Well he provoked me a little. Yep, I should don't answer for such
advance, but unfortunatelly it's always stronger than me ;)

There will always be people who provoke you. When flamewars erupt on the debian-private list, there is always a chorus of people who point out what a waste it is.

Well in fact pointing out is another waste of time.
In my opinion the best would be to ignore every flamewar.
I agree completely, and for this reason I will cross post this reply back to the debian-mentors list. The chorus is frequently on the list, whereas I initially sent my reply directly to you. You could say my reply is a waste of time, but at least it was limited to me and you. Your point was valid, and now it
is on the debian-mentors list were wannabees can learn from it.

If DDs spent more time
fixing bugs and less time expressing themselves in these flames, the project would accomplish more. Before you join Debian, it might be good to ask yourself what kind of reputation you
want to cultivate.

I'll try to avoid such talks. They always leads to nowhere, but
I suppose that many people make flamewars for relax. It's sometimes good
way to get rid of stress ;)
That does puzzle me. It may be good to relieve stress, but why would a DD abuse another DD for their own enjoyment? If this motivation is behind many of the flamewars that erupt, it may be time to modify our Procedures and Policies to weed out such behaviour. With a few hundred developers, the Debian project made a lot of progress and accomplished a lot. With many more DDs now, flames are sent while progress is still made my those select few. Some of the oldtimers ask if we have too
many DDs now.  I think this goes back to the original point,

                   Debian is more then(sic) packaging.

Anyway, since we seem to be in agreement, this will be my last reply. Good luck with your
sponsorship and the NM queue.

Richard