Steps confused about the Applicant's Checklist

Hello...

I am interesting in the New Maintainer Application and try to take an exam for the developers.

I read the steps of Applicant's Checklist. Something confused me about the first two.

In the Initial Contact step two:The applicant's identity needs to be verified. The applicant needs to prepare the GPG key to be signed by a Developer or sponsor? And then, the Identification routine mentions that the way to prepare a GPG key and providing. Is the routine:Identification the same as the Initial Contact step two?

sorry for my poor english. I will study hard to improve it...:-)

Thx!
asho