Re: testing config/preinst mods

>   > For config scripts, in the absence of something pre-existing, one
>   > approach that looks like it would work pretty easily would be to
>   > replace apt-extracttemplates (which is called by dpkg-preconfigure)
>   > with something that would check a magic directory for replacement
>   > scripts for a package and use those instead of the real ones if they
>   > exist.
>
>   I have never heard of something like this - but it would be simply
>   great! Not only that it would make testing easier, but also because if
>   some strange bug is reported, one could put debugging code at the right
>   places of the script, send it to the bug submitter and ask him to make
>   dpkg use it.

I had a couple of hours over the weekend to implement and test this.
I used it today to create patches for two outstanding bugs including
three merged release-critical bugs against console-common.  I'll post
my solution to debian-devel today with the subject "testing
config/preinst mods: one approach".

--
Jay Berkenbilt <ejb@ql.org>
http://www.ql.org/q/