Re: testing config/preinst mods

Jay Berkenbilt <ejb@ql.org> schrieb:

> For config scripts, in the absence of something pre-existing, one
> approach that looks like it would work pretty easily would be to
> replace apt-extracttemplates (which is called by dpkg-preconfigure)
> with something that would check a magic directory for replacement
> scripts for a package and use those instead of the real ones if they
> exist.

I have never heard of something like this - but it would be simply
great! Not only that it would make testing easier, but also because if
some strange bug is reported, one could put debugging code at the right
places of the script, send it to the bug submitter and ask him to make
dpkg use it.

For testing, I currently change the scripts and run
"fakeroot debian/rules binary" without prior clean. I think it would
also be possible to replace the scripts in debian/$packagename/DEBIAN
and run dh_builddeb manually.

Regards, Frank
Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie