renaming source package

Upstream maintainership of a package of mine changed from the old author
to a new one. New upstream maintainer decided to change the source name
of the package and thus the tarball name.

How can I handle such a change? The simplest approach seems to be to
keep the currend debian source package name and just release a "new
upstream release" version of the package. Actually I haven't yet tried
and I don't know if uupdate permits that, but in case it doesn't I can
simply rename the tarball.

The other approach is to ask for removal of the old source package and
upload a new one which generates the same binary packages. This seems to
be the best approach but I'm a bit scared about the transition phase ...
would it be possible to upload the new package before the old one is
removed?

TIA,
Cheers.