Re: RFS: gnotify -- a notification service for many desktop-environments and WM's

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 23:56:07 +0200
stappers@stappers.nl (Geert Stappers) wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 11:24:59PM +0200, Simon MARTIN wrote:
> > Hi debian-mentors!
> >
> > First of all, the most important information:
> >
> > ===========
> >
> > * Package name    : gnotify
> >   Version         : 0.8
> >   Upstream Author : Marius M. M. <DevilX33@hotmail.com>
> > * URL             : http://gnotify.sourceforge.net/
> > * License         : GPL
> >   Description     : a notification service for many
> >   desktop-environments
> > and WM's
> >
> >  GNotify is a little daemon written in C using GTK. It provides
> >  (like the KDE KNotify-system) a notification-service for
> >  Gnome/XFce/FVWM/Fluxbox/Enlightenment and other
> >  Desktop-Environments/WindowManagers.
> >
> > ===========
> >
> > I'm packaging gnotify for about a month now, and I thought that it
> > would be nice to have it in Debian directly also.
> > Although gnotify is still far away from getting finished (espacially
> > regarding documentation), it already provides good functionality.
> >
> > The latest version of gnotity can be downloaded from
> > http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/g/gnotify/
> > , whereas version 0.8-9 is the first one that is completely
> > lintian-clean (the only warnings that remain are those:
> >
> > W: gnotify source: configure-generated-file-in-source config.status
> > W: gnotify source: configure-generated-file-in-source config.log
>
> I assume that upstream includes those files in their tarball, they
> shouldn't. Educate them, tell it doesn't make sense the ship files
> that are generated on normal build.
> (For now you can tweak the original tarball, but that is considered
> harmfull )

Ok, after hours of senseless buildings and version increments, I've done
so ... and finally it worked!
I've noticed the upstream author.

> > but I've read this can be ignored when beeing sure that the noted
> > files are removed by debian/rules clean, which I'm quite sure
> > about). To be honest, linda still finds an error:
> >
> > E: gnotify; Package contains autoconf-generated files.
> >
> > but I've absolutely no idea which files could be blamed for that.
> > Please let me know what I've made wrong here.
>
> I culpritt config.status & config.log, but I should have download your
> files, so I do know what I talking about.

You were right, linda is satisfied now also.

> > gnotify can also be fetched via apt by easily adding the following
> > line to the sources.list:
> >
> > deb http://mentors.debian.net/debian unstable main contrib non-free
> > deb-src http://mentors.debian.net/debian unstable main contrib
> > non-free
> >
> > As you can see in the changelog, it took me several tries until I
> > finally got a lintian-clean package.
> > Although I think I've read the most important parts of manuals for
> > New Maintainers, references for developers and so on, it is still
> > quite possibly that I'm violating one or more Debian Policies.
> > Please let me know in this case.
> >
> > I'd be very thankful for any notes and / or sponsorships.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >   Simon
> >
> > PS: I've already filed a bug against [1]wnpp, which I close in
> > version 0.8-9; the latest version is 0.8-10
> >

> > [1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=246481
>

> Cheers
> Geert Stappers

For now, version 0.8.2-1 is available via mentors.debian.net. I'd be
very happy about any hints again.

Kind regards,
  Simon