Re: Unicode conversion goals for Sarge (was Re: debian-changelog-file-uses-obsolete-national-charset)

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 03:06:37PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> I think UTF-8 is the future, use it fairly extensively myself, and will
> continue to work towards having it everywhere, but let's not make the
> mistake Red Hat made of pushing UTF-8 beyond the current capabilities of
> our software.

The main problem being that gnome insist of everything being UTF-8 by
default. So will the broken_filename variable be set per default for
sarge, and we will forgo UTF-8 support ? And we could then make an
official announcement that sarge+1 should be officially full UTF-8, and
that this be a release criteria for sarge+1 ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther