Re: debian-changelog-file-uses-obsolete-national-charset

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 11:24:30AM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
[...]
> If you change debian/changelog to UTF-8 you have to also change
> debian/control, otherwise the maintainer-ids won't match and your
> upload will be classifed as NMU.

Another possibility (because it won't make the maintainer UTF-8, with
all kind of troubles thereof) is to make sure the 'Changed-By' (in
.changes) is _not_ UTF-8. By default, it's taken from the most recent
signature in the changelog, but that can be overridden.

No script other than the dpkg-genchanges script will really look into the
changelog, so it's possible to contain UTF8 usage withing the changelog
only.

This is the -e option to dpkg-genchanges, which can also be given (and
will then passed on) to dpkg-buildpackage, and if you use debuild, you
can no doubt also give that option to debuild (but didn't check my last
assumption).

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar