Re: debian-changelog-file-uses-obsolete-national-charset

On 2004-03-30 Martin-Éric Racine <q-funk@pp.fishpool.fi> wrote:
[...]
> If I change my locale setting to fi_FI.UTF-8@euro [1], debsign can
> no longer find my GPG key, because it expects the accent on my name
> to be encoded in UTF-8, even though the key was created in Latin-1.

Have you tried adding a second UID that is UTF-8 encoded?

> Another thing is, several remote sites I need to access on a daily
> basis simply do not offer UTF-8 locales.  In those cases, I still
> need a terminal that functions in Latin-1, including all accented
> characters.  Switching locale would definitely break a lot of things
> there, because the remote end would receive accented characters
> using UTF-8 escape sequences, instead of plain Latin-1.
[...]
> However... If anybody has clear solutions to ALL the above issues, I would
> gladly hear them.  :-)

The easiest way for the time being might be for you:
#1 keep using latin1 locale.
#2 keep debian/control and debian/changelog in latin1.
#3 Before you start dpkg-buildpackage use iconv or recode to
   *temporarily* recode these files to UTF-8
#4 Use -k1E0CB9CD for debsign/dpkg-buildpackage.

If you change debian/changelog to UTF-8 you have to also change
debian/control, otherwise the maintainer-ids won't match and your
upload will be classifed as NMU.

> [1] Shouldn't this @euro crap be gone by now? I mean the Euro is the only
> currency here since a few years already.  Should fi_FI mean ISO-8859-15 by
> default, at this point?

Imvho ISO-8859-15 just sucks. It is not as compatible as latin1 (e.g
e-mail, usenet) and not as useful as unicode.
              cu andreas
fuhggvat qbja gur juveyvat tha.
Neal Stephenson in "Snow Crash"