Re: Things I would like to see cleared out in details.

On 2004-03-20, n.v.t n.v.t <joefso@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I'm kinda confused about a few things. Let's say I packed a wnpp, my steps
> are:(?)
> - close the bug.

Rename the RFP (Request for Package) to ITP (Intend to Package). If you
do so, include a package description along with copyright and URL to the
homepage of the software. See [2] for more information how to deal with
the report.

> - find a sponsor (Do i need to follow the steps for becoming
>   a appliciant? Let's say all I want is  my package to be
>   uploaded. I don't know yet if I want to become a offical
>   developer)

if you just want the package to be uploaded, you need an "sponsor".
The Sponsor is an DD (Debian Developer) who checks your Package and
manages the upload to the Archive. You don't have to pass the New
Maintainer Process to maintain a Package but a PGP/GPG Key signed
by an active Debian Developer is appreciated[0].

If you are done with Packaging the Software, dupload it to the mentors[1]
server and ask for persons to have a look at it (on the mentors
mailinglist or the Forum provided at[1]) and that you're searching for
an sponsor. Then, if you found an Sponsor and your Package gets uploaded
to the archive, you can close the ITP.

> Could someone explain it to me so that things become more clear to me?

[0] http://nm.debian.org/gpg.php
[1] http://mentors.debian.net/
[2] http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/
http://www.debian.org/devel/