Re: Conflicts/replaces confusion

On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 05:31:47PM -0600, Kenneth Pronovici wrote:
> I'm currently reorganizing the epydoc source package.  For various
> reasons, I want to get rid of the set of pythonX.Y-epydoc packages and
> just provide everything in the main python-epydoc package instead.  What
> I can't figure out is how to do this while ensuring a smooth upgrade.
>
> I thought I should have the new python-epydoc package conflict with the
> old pythonX.Y-epydoc packages:
>
>    Conflicts: python2.3-epydoc, python2.2-epydoc, python2.1-epydoc
>    Replaces: python2.3-epydoc, python2.2-epydoc, python2.1-epydoc
>
> However, this doesn't work, apparently because the old version of the
> python-epydoc package depends on python2.3-epydoc, which the new version
> is trying to conflict with:
>
>    dpkg: considering removing python2.3-epydoc in favour of python-epydoc ...
>    dpkg: no, cannot remove python2.3-epydoc (--auto-deconfigure will help):
>     python-epydoc depends on python2.3-epydoc (>= 2.0-0.1)
>      python2.3-epydoc is to be removed.

I think you have to accept that the old packages will stay around until
they're manually removed. I suggest making them empty packages (save for
a /usr/share/doc/foo symlink to /usr/share/doc/python-epydoc) that just
depend on python-epydoc, and then make python-epydoc Conflict/Replace
pythonX.Y-epydoc (<< whatever-the-first-empty-version-is).