Conflicts/replaces confusion

[Please CC me on replies; I'm not subscribed to -mentors anymore.]

I'm currently reorganizing the epydoc source package.  For various
reasons, I want to get rid of the set of pythonX.Y-epydoc packages and
just provide everything in the main python-epydoc package instead.  What
I can't figure out is how to do this while ensuring a smooth upgrade.

I thought I should have the new python-epydoc package conflict with the
old pythonX.Y-epydoc packages:

   Conflicts: python2.3-epydoc, python2.2-epydoc, python2.1-epydoc
   Replaces: python2.3-epydoc, python2.2-epydoc, python2.1-epydoc

However, this doesn't work, apparently because the old version of the
python-epydoc package depends on python2.3-epydoc, which the new version
is trying to conflict with:

   dpkg: considering removing python2.3-epydoc in favour of python-epydoc ...
   dpkg: no, cannot remove python2.3-epydoc (--auto-deconfigure will help):
    python-epydoc depends on python2.3-epydoc (>= 2.0-0.1)
     python2.3-epydoc is to be removed.
   dpkg: regarding python-epydoc_2.0-2_all.deb containing python-epydoc:
    python-epydoc conflicts with python2.3-epydoc
     python2.3-epydoc (version 2.0-1) is installed.
   dpkg: error processing python-epydoc_2.0-2_all.deb (--install):
    conflicting packages - not installing python-epydoc
    python-epydoc_2.0-2_all.deb

It seems like I've set up a situation that dpkg can't dig itself out of,
and I have no idea what to do about it.  Is what I'm trying to do here
even possible?  I'd appreciate a hint from someone more knowlegeable
than me. :-)

Thanks for the help,

KEN

--