Re: RFS: truncate (now it's free, for real!)

On 2004-03-09 Luca Pasquali <keta@email.it> wrote:
[...]
> and now a strange, dumb-sounding request:
> if you mentors have better/more useful "packaging exercises" to
> suggest me, I'll welcome the advices, it may be a strange request but
> I'm not a programmer, I mainly use console to do network
> administration, I'm lost in WNPP search something to package that will
> of use for myself without great results.

If you are trying to be helpful take the list of packages you actually
have installed and use and check their bug-reports, you have good
chances of finding one or the other which is in need of attention, be
it patches, or just testing and verifying bug-reports. This will not
teach you how to package something from scratch (but imho this is not
too difficult for the normal autotool thingy anyways).
Co-maintainership or adoption can follow.

> Is this a bad approach to debian maintainig? I mean dealing with
> packages you don't use.
[...]

There are two problems with that:
- Motivation. I am much more inclined to invest time and effort in
  maintaining a package I really use because I immediately benefit
  from it and suffer from its deficencies.

- Quality of the result. If you do not use the package regularily you
  might not know how to test it and won't stumble upon well hidden bugs
  yourself.
           cu andreas
fuhggvat qbja gur juveyvat tha.
Neal Stephenson in "Snow Crash"