Restoring cooledit to Debian, perhaps RFS

I've been thinking sometime about trying to adopt the orphaned package cooledit
since i use it every day and like it a lot.  I really think it should be
included in the Debian distro.  When checking the orphan list the other day
i noticed it has been removed from unstable and the orphan bug archived which
has finally spurred me into action.  In order to include it again, would it
need to come in as a new package or can it still be adopted?

I've been hesitant to adopt it myself because after 23 years of professional
programming, i fear i still suffer from HPS (Heroic Programmer's Syndrome).  At
least i've finally gotten over the denial stage of the disease.  I would
eventually like to become a DD, but this would be my first package, and i don't
want to overcommit myself or get in over my head.  Perhaps one solution would be
to see if there's anyone who would be willing to work closely with me on it.

Suggestions and advice would be much appreciated.  I have contacted the upstream
author who made a number of suggestions.

Thanks,
Charles Hawkins