Re: RFS: evolvotron (graphcs)

Tim Day <timday@bottlenose.demon.co.uk> schrieb:

> I'm the developer of evolvotron, an interactive evolutionary art
> program.

Note that I'm not interested in this software. Just some comments on
your packaging questions.

> This is actually a .deb of work in progress so there is some dead
> functionality on the Settings/Functions menu.  Depending on how fast
> things happen I'd actually expect to put the finished 0.2.4 release into
> Debian when it's done, or would fixup the last 0.2.3 release (which was
> missing man pages).
>
> A few of questions:
> - Does it matter that I built this on a testing rather than unstable
> system ?  (I have a stable and a testing box here).

The *deb is not really interesting; important are the source parts (dsc,
diff.gz, orig.tar.gz). But you should really set up pbuilder or
something similar, in order to verify that it does build on unstable,
with only the Build-Depends (and essential) installed.

> - I was expecting (according to the guide) to have to enter a GPG key
> during thedpkg-buildpackage step.  It didn't ask, but I'm guessing this
> because I haven't set myself up with gpg yet ?

Don't know this. However, for testing one usually doesn't sign packages
(options -uc -us to dpkg-buildpackage). If the tests were successful,
you can sign afterwards with debsign.

> - The evolvotron sources come with a CHANGES file.  In
> /usr/share/doc/evolvotron I seem to have ended up with a duplicate
> CHANGES.gz & changelog.gz plus a changelog.Debian.gz.  Should I get rid
> of CHANGES and just have the changelogs, or is this not a big deal ?

If the files are the same, you should get rid of it. If not, merge
them.

> - Is there any policy on optimisation flags ?  The evolvotron sources
> override the qmake supplied -O2 flag with -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer
> -funroll-loops -ffast-math, which last time I checked could render about
> 13% faster.  Should I force them back to just -O2 for the debian build ?

file:///usr/share/doc/debian-policy/policy.html/ch-files.html#s10.1

(also on the web, but I haven't a bookmark at hand)

,----
| It is up to the package maintainer to decide what compilation options
| are best for the package. Certain binaries (such as
| computationally-intensive programs) will function better with certain
| flags (-O3, for example); feel free to use them. [...] Don't use flags
| for the sake of it
`----

HTH, Frank
Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie