Re: RFS: pdfmerge

--- Jepri wrote:

[...]
> As a sysadmin,
> using Solaris is about
> as much fun as being beaten, thanks to the lack of
> unecessary and
> frivolous scripts like this one.  I always prefer
> working on the Debian
> servers.

totally agree. w/o those frivolous scripts, we spend
so many hours finding those agonizing one-liners.

I also prefer ready-made scripts that I can search
rapidly and install.

> If people are using it, we should include it.

Useful scripts/programs are a must.  We can't deny
inclusion of something useful. In the end it will
benefit us all.

If the RH community is already doing an "pt-get
install pdfmerge" to get the program in and running.
Why not us?

> But then we end up with the redhat madness where
> it's hard to find a
> particular program because it has been lumped in
> with some related
> package that doesn't share the name.

In a way I agree w/ Jepri. If I want a specific
script, I would like to be able to install it right
away (few Kbs of script in my system is ok!) and not
download the whole package of 32mb of a larger unknown
program with another weird name just to get that
script running.

Imagine if there were 20 scripts in 30 mbs packages.
Meaning I would have to find 600 mbs of space on my
harddisk plus trying to track down all the associated
programs.

So placing it as stand-alone package has also its
advantages. Food for thought! :-)

Sincerely yours,
Ben Young,
Systems Engineer.