Re: About creating .deb packages

On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 08:47:48AM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@debian.org> [2004.12.30.0807 +0100]:
> > > We would like to know which files are absolutely necessary for creating
> > > .deb package (assuming u have all the source files needed).
> >
> > Depends on how you want to create the .deb.  Bare minimum is ar, tar, gzip,
> > and cp, more or less.
>
> Unfortunately, ar(1) won't suffice as it cannot create BSD-style
> archives. DEB files are BSD ar archives, not GNU ar. Thus, you need
> dpkg-source.

Hmm, do you have a definitive reference for that?  All I can find from a
quick google on seemingly relevant terms is a year-old e-mail exchange
between Goswin and aba about a specification of the file format, which is
fairly disjoint and doesn't really explain the issue properly.

> > > We know about control file,changelog,rules,conffile, n scripts like
> > > postrm,prerm,preinst,postinst.
> >
> > None of those files (as provided in your average Debian source package) are
> > absolutely required to create a .deb format package, although you'll have a
> > hard time getting it into Debian without several of them.
>
> You need a control file. Whether that is debian/control (standard
> source package), or DEBIAN/control (binary package) does not matter
> though. However, if you use debian/control, you also need
> debian/changelog.

Why do you need debian/changelog if you're using debian/control?  Surely
there could be an alternate means of specifying the package version number,
since you're not restricted to using the Usual Debian Tools -- remember,
absolute minimalism here...

It's actually quite a fun mental game, this: "What do I *really* need,
rather than what I'm accustomed to needing".

- Matt