Re: About creating .deb packages

TIFR students <hbcsestuds@yahoo.com> schrieb:

> We would like to know which files are absolutely necessary for creating .deb package (assuming u have all the source
> files needed).
> We know about control file,changelog,rules,conffile, n scripts like postrm,prerm,preinst,postinst.
> We have an idea of contents of a control file.But what is to be contained in the scripts ?
> Are rules,changelog and conffile necessary??

Have you read the new maintainers guide at

and the appendices of the Debian Policy?

Also, the manpages pointed out by Matthew are helpful. And you should
take some existing Debian *.deb and do

ar x $filename.deb

on it. Basically, you just need a data.tar.gz and a control.tar.gz with
a control file in it (I'm not sure about md5sums).

Regards, Frank
Frank Küster
Inst. f. Biochemie der Univ. Zürich
Debian Developer