Re: maint-guide update (pbuilder, linda, orig.tar.gz etc.)

Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:

> or specifically check correctness for the following sentences.
> (I welcome English grammar correction too.)

Here come some comments:

> ---------------------------------------
> 9.3 The orig.tar.gz file

- If you simply copy contents of debian/ directory from old package into
+ If you simply copy the contents of the debian/ directory from the old package into

- new upstream version of source tree and try to build package, you may
+ the new upstream version of the source tree and try to build the package, you may

> end up with unintended result of creating a native source package which
+ end up with the unintended result of creating a native source package which

> comes without diff.gz file. This type of packaging is allowed for the
> comes without a diff.gz file. This type of packaging is allowed for the

> Here, you must have the upstream tar ball as orig.tar.gz file in the
> parent directory.

I would write: In order to get a non-native package with a diff.gz, you
must have...

> Usually, this tar ball should untar to a source tree
> rooting from a directory with a name <packagename>-<upstream_version>/.
> In this cases, orig.tar.gz source file can be obtained by simply rename
> upstream tar ball to the original file name
> <packagename>_<upstream_version>.orig.tar.gz . Please note that the 2
> changes exist between source tree directory name and the tar file name:
>
>     * Change hyphen "-" to underscore "_"
>     * Add "orig." before "tar.gz."

You can consider adding a link here that refers to the discussion of
orig.tar.gz files in the developer's reference, oh, no, it's not yet
there (see #278524). Maybe later. This would also provide an explanation
for the "Usually" at the beginning of the paragraph above, namely when
it should unpack into <packagename>-<upstream-version>.orig/.

> The dh_make command usually takes care creation of orig.tar.gz file.

I would leave this out here, because we are in the section about
updating the package to a new version. Alternatively,

+ The dh_make command usually takes care of the creation of the orig.tar.gz file.

Thanks for your work, Frank

P.S. I'm not a native speaker either, but my language uses articles
quite similarly as english does ;-)
--
Frank Küster
Inst. f. Biochemie der Univ. Zürich