Re: your mail

On Sat, Dec 25, 2004 at 06:11:30PM -0500, Jake Spieker wrote:
> 2. What does becoming a debian maintainer entail?

A fair bit.  Peruse the debian-mentors FAQ at
http://people.debian.org/~mpalmer/debian-mentors_FAQ.html for a bit of an
idea of some of the basics (but be warned that what's in there is really
only the tip of the iceberg).

> Would I need to know any programming/scripting?

If you want to maintain packages, you'll almost certainly need some level of
scripting ability, and (depending on the package) probably some level of
programming knowledge (unless you maintain only documentation-type
packages).  There are plenty of things that don't require programming
skills, though.

> How much time is involved?

As much time as you're willing to commit.  As a rough guide, I spend roughly
60 hours a month on my involvement with Debian.  That's more than just
package maintenance, though -- it includes my involvement with mailing
lists, sponsorship, working as an AM, and package maintenance.  If you add
the time I've committed to upstream maintenance of software that I also
package (libapache-mod-auth-mysql and IRM, for the terminally curious), that
hour count roughly doubles (though I get paid for my work on IRM, so it
probably doesn't really count).

- Matt