postinst, config and preinst

Hey,

I'm preparing an upgrade path to the new pdns and want something to
know. According to the debian policy:
The preinst and postinst are called this way:
preinst upgrade installed-version
postinst configure most-recent-configured-version

When i do an upgrade of that package and i try to echo $2 then there is
now installed-version or most-recent-configured-version ?

I'm now going to check if the /etc/powerdns/pdns.conf exists. But i
think this isn't the recommended way to do.

Am i missing something or what ?

Matthijs Mohlmann

PS: I'm still searching for a sponsor who want to upload this and want
to guide me to the new maintainers process.