New upstream packages?

Hi everyone,

After checking appropriate docs and asking around and getting different
answers, I thought I'd see if there was any consensus on this:

How do you deal with new upstream releases? The general answers I'm getting
seem to be along the lines of "move the debian/ directory to the new
release and tweak it til things work". Is this correct? If so (or if not),
shouldn't there be something in devref or policy about it?

off the chain like a rebellious guanine nucleotide