Default gcc for sarge, libunwind

Hi,

this question might be really dumb, but: Where can I find information
which gcc version is used for sarge? I was under the impression that it
was gcc-3.3, because gcc-3.4 entered unstable only in July this year
(when we were thinking to be a couple of weeks before the final
freeze). And because in a sid pbuilder tarball, created today on sid,
gcc-3.3 is still used.

However, I learned recently that packages in sarge depend on gcc-3.4, at
least on a couple of architectures:

http://bjorn.haxx.se/debian/testing.pl?package=tetex-bin

says that tetex-bin is waiting for libunwind (on which it depends only
on some arches), which in turn is waiting for gcc-3.4.

Is this an error in my sid tarball - and if yes, what am I doing wrong?

Secondly, I'd like to learn what this libunwind is about and why
tetex-bin is linked against it on some (many!) arches, but not on
i386. The package description wasn't really helpful there.

TIA, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Inst. f. Biochemie der Univ. Zürich