Re: shared libraries

also sprach Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> [2004.12.08.1429 +0100]:
> ,---- ld.so(8) ----
> | LD_PRELOAD
> |    A whitespace-separated list of additional, user-specified, ELF
> |    shared libraries to be loaded before all others.  This can be used
> |    to selectively override functions in other shared libraries.  For
> |    setuid/setgid ELF binaries, only libraries in the standard search
> |    directories that are also setgid will be loaded.
> `----
>
> Although we do not want to override only single functions, this might be
> a better choice here. I don't know how much this will actually change,
> however, since in the directories that would be given to LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> there would be only one shared library - the one alternatively specified
> in LD_PRELOAD.

I am sorry, I must have been smoking something. I cannot figure out
how to tell the linker which libraries to load. I could have sworn
it was possible.

Anyway, I am not sure LD_PRELOAD is a good alternative either. I am
strongly opposed to the LD_* variables and rpath, but I cannot
really figure out a better means than LD_LIBRARY_PATH... ugh!

`. `'`