Re: Files from conffiles not being installed

On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 06:10:17PM +0200, Mugurel Tudor wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 16:38 +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> > also sprach Justin Pryzby <justinpryzby@users.sourceforge.net> [2004.11.15.1632 +0100]:
> > > You should also check out /usr/lib/dpkg/ (esp. *.conffiles).  Make
> > > sure that your conffile is getting copied there.
> >
> > That's /var/lib/dpkg/info
Erm, right, double-v.

> Well, I'm getting close now. I had there mypackage.md5sums,
> mypackage.conffiles, even if the package was uninstalled. After I delete
Purging the package should remove those files as well as the files
tagged as conffiles.

> Should I take care in a postrm script to remove those files from there?
> Because it seems that their removal is not automatic.
No, dpkg will do that.

> And now I have another problem: I generate mypackage 1.0, install it,
> modifiy the cofiguration file, then generate mypackage 1.1 and install
Just to be perfectly clear, your *package* should never modify a
conffile (via maintainer scripts or such).  conffiles are to be
modified only by the user.  New versions of the conffiles may be
distributed, and they will be gracefully upgraded by dpkg.

If your *package* needs to modify a file, then it should be a
"configuration file", but not a conffile.  (Just put it in /etc/).

Justin