Merging two source packages

Hi,

I have 2 source packages in the archive (unstable only) that are
branches of the same tree, but generate different backages.
e.g. source packages A and B which make packages X and Y
respectively.

I has bothered me to have such duplication and finally some work that
upstream did lets me generate both X and Y from the same source
package A.

What is the best way to go about getting rid of package B?

My first instinct is just to upload a new version of A (with new
versions of X and Y) and then file a bug against ftp.debian.org?

But my first instincts are often wrong. So should I file the bug first?

Any other beartraps?

Thanks,

--
Brian Sutherland