Re: Packaged PPower4

On Oct 27 2004, Frank Küster wrote:
> Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> schrieb:
> > I can only speak for the TeX part, but it seems quite well.
>
> Quite. But the package is lacking a postrm which should call mktexlsr or
> texhash again.

Ooops. Thank you *very much* for your feedback Frank.

I am a novice regarding packaging things for TeX and packaging things for
java too. One of my next plans will be to see if I can understand what it
takes to make cm-super part of Debian and memoir (I hope to learn how to
use it, given all the hype that I've read on it).

Regarding the postrm, yes, it was missing. I put the postinst and postrm
calling texhash, but it seems that I may have deleted the postrm, which was
obviously a fault on my side. I'm doing it again.

> And one other thing I just noticed: As far as I can see, there is no
> tarball on the project website, and you created one containing the Java
> application.

Yes, upstream doesn't provide a tarball of the program. What they have
there is a jar file for the postprocessor, a wrapper script for calling the
JVM (which I adapted to use something reasonable in Debian) and some style
files, all in a zip file (or uncompressed for individual download).

Since I didn't want to include unzip as a build-dependency, I extracted the
style files myself.

I just tried to create something that seemed reasonable, but I don't know
how succesfull I was. Your input is highly appreciated.

> But if you create your tarball, please also put the other
> upstream files into it. Together with the manual, if possible.

Ok. The problem is that I didn't see a manual there. Do you have any
suggestions regarding that? I think that I could put an example file in the
package, to make it easier for those interested in using the package.

Would you suggest me to repackage it in any other way?

Thank you very much for your comments, Rogério Brito.

P.S.: I would appreciate if I could be kept in the Cc:'s, as I don't
currently subscribe to debian-mentors.
  Rogério Brito - rbrito@ime.usp.br - http://www.ime.usp.br/~rbrito