Re: shlibs

Adeodato Simó [u] wrote on 19/10/2004 17:25:

  what I was trying to point out on irc was: if ${shlibs:Depends}
  expands to xmms, that's because a binary in the package links against
  /usr/lib/libxmms.so.1. if you workaround that, you'll end up with a
  broken (*) binary in the system.

    (*) there may be (I'd say) valid circumstances in which that result
    is acceptable. I myself do that in one of my packages. I was just
    trying to make you aware of the consequences.

One such circumstance would be if an application provides various backends which are each compiled against specific libraries (which are expanded from shlibs:Depends), but only one backend needs to work. Right?