Re: Advice sought regarding binaries in upstream source

I demand that Andree Leidenfrost may or may not have written...

> I am the co-maintainer for packages mindi and mondo which had bugs #233606
> and #233605 filed a while ago. These bugs where about the packages
> containing binaries in the upstream source. This was true, the binaries
> have been removed since and the bugs closed.

> However, this means that we are currently not distributing the pristine
> upstream sources of mindi and mondo, which I am not overly happy with. (I
> am highlighting this fact by adding sub-versions to the upstream versions
> in the package names.)

I doubt that this would be considered to be a problem, and may well be a Good
Thing: the source takes up slightly less space in the archive, and there's no
possibility of upstream's binaries being used during the build process.

[snip]
> Should the answer be that the binaries indeed have to be removed from the
> upstream source in the orig.tar.gz file, I would also very much like to
> know whether my current approach of appending a sub-version to the upstream
> version number is approriate (example: 2.03 -> 2.03.1).

Bad idea. What if there's an upstream 2.03.1?

--
| Darren Salt   | nr. Ashington, | linux (or ds) at
| woody, sarge, | Northumberland | youmustbejoking
| RISC OS       | Toon Army      | demon co uk
|   Retrocomputing: a PC card in a Risc PC

Insanity is just a state of mind.