Re: Where to submit a bug?

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 04:50:22PM +0200, Adrian von Bidder wrote:
> My experience is that if you can take the time to track down the upstream
> bug tracking system and learn how it is used, it is much better  (== you
> get more reactions) to report a bug upstream for most packages, if it's
> clearly an upstream bug.

I disagree, it is very,very dependent on the project or package you are
talking about.  At the very least the Debian package maintainer should
be able to understand their upstream bug systems.

There is also, for some projects, a concept of goodwill that can extend
to bugs from Debian.  I find some upstreams are more willing to look
a bugs from me (as the packager for Debian of their program).  Of course
you don't get this by default, you need to earn it but it can help.

The lesson there is get along with your upstream developers, it can
pay off in future.

 - Craig
--
Craig Small      GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
Eye-Net Consulting http://www.enc.com.au/   MIEE         Debian developer