Re: RFH lintian too hush

On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 10:26:13PM +0200, Geert Stappers wrote:
> But I was looking for the hugh /usr/share so I tried
>
>   lintian -C hus conglomerate_0.7.14-1_powerpc.deb
>
> Two snippets from the lintian manual page
>
>        -C chk1,chk2,..., --check-part chk1,chk2,...
>               Run  only the specified checks.  You can either specify the name
>               of the check script or the abbreviation.  For details,  see  the
>               CHECKS section below.
>
>        huge-usr-share (hus)
>               Checks  whether  an  architecture-dependent  package does have a
>               significantly big /usr/share. Big amounts of architecture  inde-
>               pendent  data  in architecture dependent packages waste space on
>               the mirrors.
>
> But still no sign of the hugh /usr/share
>
> > Regarding this check, see /usr/share/lintian/checks/huge-usr-share, and
> > note that due to its new, experimental nature, it is only displayed when
> > you enable informative checks, by means of lintian -I.
>
> Hey a -I flag, lets try it:
>
> $ lintian -I conglomerate_0.7.14-1_powerpc.deb
> I: conglomerate: arch-dep-package-has-big-usr-share 4448kB 86%
>

> Okay, I found what I was looking for ....
> What is a constructive way to solve our different expections
> of _all_ checks and "forceing hus check" versus the -I flag?

This is indeed seemingly in conflict if you don't know how -C really
interacts with lintian. -C is intended as a flag to _limit_ which checks
are actually performed, i.e., how much CPU and I/O lintian spends on
certain things. -I works at a higher level in lintian, it serves as to
unhide certain warnings that are hidden by default. -I processing is
done only _after_ all checks are performed, and -C is rather used for
which checks are performed, and on its turn, doesn't know about -I...

Anyway, I don't know really how to solve different expectations, as it
_is_ kind of consistent now how those flags all cooperate. I think it'd
better to make clear in documentation somehow that certain options are
only useful if you're about to do some specialized large-scale package
tests (-C), and emphasize those few options that _are_ relevant to
everybody (IMHO, this is an exhaustive list of lintian options one
should normally bother with: -I, -i, -o, --show-overrides, -m, --allow-root, -v, -V, -h, --print-version. All other options are maily for uses like the lintian invocation for lintian.debian.org).

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar
http://Jeroen.A-Eskwadraat.nl