Re: RFS: streamline

Greetings,

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Nathaniel W. Turner wrote:

> On Tuesday 31 August 2004 01:50 pm, Michael MacFadden wrote:
> > Depends: apache | apache-ssl | apache-perl | apache2, php4 | php4-cgi |
> > libapache2-mod-php4
>
> This is a minor thing, but I'm pretty sure the current preference is to list
> the apache2 stuff first, as it will be default in Sarge, and is what new
> users should be installing by default.

I have a somewhat different impression, apache2 seems to have its share
of problems. Debian's apache2 packages have seen 12 uploads during the
last two months [0] and PHP manual explicitly states [1]:

 Do not use Apache 2.0.x and PHP in a production environment neither on
 Unix nor on Windows. For information on why, read the following FAQ
 entry.

> So,
> Depends: apache2 | apache | apache-ssl | apache-perl, libapache2-mod-php4 |
> php4 | php4-cgi
>
> Cheers,
> nate

While seemingly innocent, this change may have some "interesting"
consequences. Consider a situation when apache2 is provided by the
recommended apache2-mpm-worker package. If PHP is not installed, the first
candidate to satisfy the second dependency is libapache2-mod-php4, which
depends on apache2-mpm-prefork (>= 2.0.50-10). This, in turn, conflicts
with all other apache2 MPM flavors (including apache2-mpm-worker). As a
result, the apache2-mpm-worker is going to be (quite unexpectedly) removed
and replaced by apache2-mpm-prefork, possibly, contrary to user's wishes.
This is just one example, but there is not guarantee that similar problems
will not be encountered while analyzing the remaining 11 (4x3-1) ways to
satisfy the dependencies :-).

[0] /usr/share/doc/apache2-common/changelog.Debian.gz
[1] http://ca3.php.net/manual/en/install.unix.apache2.php

Best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org