Re: RFS: streamline

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 03:00:00PM -0400, Michael MacFadden wrote:
> Allow me to be ignorant for a moment.  I am familiar with using apt-src
> to get the source for packages, so I sort of know what is in a source
> package.  But I am not sure what makes up a source package for
> "uploading".  When I built the package (according to the new maintainers
> guide) the following files were generated:
>
> streamline_0.0.20040901-1_all.deb
> streamline_0.0.20040901-1.diff.gz
> streamline_0.0.20040901-1.dsc
> streamline_0.0.20040901-1_i386.changes
> streamline_0.0.20040901.orig.tar.gz

Formally, a source package consists of a .dsc plus the files mentioned
in its Files: section, which are currently either .orig.tar.gz+.diff.gz
or .tar.gz.

A binary package consists of a .deb or a .udeb.

An upload consists of a .changes plus the files mentioned in its Files:
section. These files may be any of the above (or occasionally other
objects, for those who know what they're doing and have cleared the
BYHAND upload with ftpmaster). If the upload includes a .dsc, it is
"sourceful", otherwise it's "binary-only". If a particular .orig.tar.gz
has been part of a previous upload, it need not and probably should not
be mentioned in later .changes that use the same original upstream
source archive.

HTH,