Re: Sponsor for a new package

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 19:16, Nelson A. de Oliveira wrote:

> Hi people
>
> I have created a package of Raster3D.
> It's available at http://biolinux.df.ibilce.unesp.br/naoliv/raster3d/
>
> There is no license for the program, but talking with the auhtor, he
> allows the inclusion of the program on Debian.
>
> Words from the author:
>
> I have never attached a formal license document or statement to the
> Raster3D code.  My position has always been that anyone is free to
> use or modify the code in any way they like, but that modified versions
> must not be redistributed.  Binary redistribution is also OK in
> non-commercial formats. The bottom line is that I do not want anyone to
> feel that they have had to pay something to get Raster3D, and I do not
> want them to be running something that claims to be Raster3D but isn't
> really.

This violates section 3 of the DFSG if I understand him correctly.

> I used to ask that the code not be redistributed at all, but I have
> changed my mind about that.  I currently provide rpms for Mandrake and
> compatible rpm-based distros, and have also given permission for
> the Darwin project to distribute a packaged version for the Mac.
>
> I also ask that if the programs are used to generate figures for
> publication, that they should be properly cited.

Possibly a violation of section 6.

> The closest formal Open Source licensing document that I know of is
> the UW's pine license:
> ~        http://www.washington.edu/pine/overview/legal.html

Ack, comparisions to Pine's license can't be good.

> I am *not* saying that the pine license covers Raster3D; just that if
> I were to write up a formal license it would look something like that
> except there are no trademark issues for Raster3D and I ask for
> scientific citation rather that trademark or attachment of legal notice.
>
> *END*
>
> Raster3D is a set of tools for generating high quality raster images of
> proteins or other molecules. The core program renders spheres,
> triangles, cylinders, and quadric surfaces with specular highlighting,
> Phong shading, and shadowing. It uses an efficient software Z-buffer
> algorithm which is independent of any graphics hardware. Ancillary
> programs process atomic coordinates from PDB files into rendering
> descriptions for pictures composed of ribbons, space-filling atoms,
> bonds, ball+stick, etc. Raster3D can also be used to render pictures
> composed in other programs such as  Molscript  in glorious 3D with
> highlights, shadowing, etc. Output is to pixel image files with 24 bits
> of color information per pixel.
>
> Homepage is: http://www.bmsc.washington.edu/raster3d/raster3d.html
>
> My package is lintiand and linda clean.

The newest standards version is 3.6.1, your package is using 3.6.0. You
probably want to update that in debian/control.

> I also created a manpage for the program rings3d included on it.

Judging by what you've said in the mail, I doubt Raster3D could go in
anything but non-free. It would help considerably to get an actual
license with the package (though there could be one, the server is slow
and I don't have time to download the files to examine them).

--
Chris Anderson <chris@nullcode.org>
ICQ: 72021847  Jabber: chrisja@jabber.org