Re: Seeking sponsors for 3 packages

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 06:32:30PM -0700, Ken Bloom wrote:

> The third was written by someone else, but it's very useful:
>    Package: svp
>    Version: 0.2-3
>     svp is an SVGAlib based GhostScript frontend, allowing you to view
>     PostScript and PDF files on your virtual consoles.
>
> All of my packages are at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~bloom/

  I will sponsor this package when it has been fixed to avoid a local
 root attack.

  The binary is installed setuid(root), and contains the following
 code:

   snprintf(command, 255, "gs -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -dSAFER -sDEVICE=nullpage \"%s\" 2>&1", filename);
   f=popen(command, "r");

  That is it invokes a copy of 'gs' without dropping root privileges and
 without specifying the path to gs.  This allows a local user to setup
 a trojan gs command and use it to gain root...

  Appropriate solutions could be forking and dropping privileges
 temporarily, dropping the +s bit, or something else.

Steve
--
# The Debian Security Audit Project.
http://www.debian.org/security/audit