Re: Sponsor for Ontographics?

Am Mi, den 11.08.2004 schrieb Arnaud Vandyck um 12:36:
> Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@debian.org> writes:

> >> what about /usr/lib/j2se/1.4/jre/bin/java (the one which is in the
> >> startup script)? I mean, if this file is present, it is very likely to
> >> be a Java 1.4 RE.
> >
> > One possibility.  I was thinking about the case where there's another
> > j2re1.4 package made, which follows your preferred one in terms of file
> > locations, but includes different options or something, which makes your
> > program act strangely, which causes people to complain.  It's a corner case,
> > but I like corner cases.  <grin>
>
> Here is the start script from ArgoUML (which at the moment needs j2sdk)

Thank you. I'll let myself inspire from that :)

> >> Be sure, I would do it if I had the time and experience with other
> >> graphics engines. I hope to get it working with kaffe some day, but I
> >> assume its still a long way.
> >
> > It gives you an interesting project - implement the graphics bits you need
> > for kaffe...
>
> kaffe, sablevm and jamvm have now improve graphics, it'll be time to
> re-try your application with these free VM's and send bugs reports ;-)

Actually, in the meantime I participated in GNU Classpath and did some
development for the missing bits. I test my app regulary against this.
It's still a long way to go (at least 1/2 year I would guess).

> Also, what is the status of the package?

the package hasn't changed since may. I have concentrated my work on GNU
Classpath.

For the app: I am in a major rewrite/extension of the application for
two things:
1. get rid of patented stuff (hyperbolic tree)
2. add features besides visualization, like knowledge management support
etc.

Cheers, Roman