Re: Sponsor for Ontographics?

Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@debian.org> writes:

>> > I'd ask the source of your packages to put a distinguishing file into the
>> > j2re1.4 package so you can easily identify it once installed
>>
>> what about /usr/lib/j2se/1.4/jre/bin/java (the one which is in the
>> startup script)? I mean, if this file is present, it is very likely to
>> be a Java 1.4 RE.
>
> One possibility.  I was thinking about the case where there's another
> j2re1.4 package made, which follows your preferred one in terms of file
> locations, but includes different options or something, which makes your
> program act strangely, which causes people to complain.  It's a corner case,
> but I like corner cases.  <grin>

Here is the start script from ArgoUML (which at the moment needs j2sdk)

#!/bin/sh
# simple script used to run ArgoUML in Debian

# The first existing directory is used for JAVA_HOME (if JAVA_HOME is not
# defined in $DEFAULT)
JDK_DIRS="$JAVA_HOME /usr/lib/j2se/1.4 /usr/lib/j2sdk1.4 /usr/lib/j2se/1.3 /usr/lib/j2sdk1.3"

# Look for the right JVM to use
for jdir in $JDK_DIRS; do
	if [ -r "$jdir/bin/java" -a -z "${JAVA_HOME}" ]; then
		JAVA_HOME="$jdir"
	fi
done
export JAVA_HOME

if [ "$JAVA_HOME" ] ; then
  if [ -z "$JAVACMD" ]; then
    JAVACMD="$JAVA_HOME/bin/java"
  fi

  $JAVACMD -jar /usr/share/java/argouml.jar "$@"

else
  echo "No JVM found to run ArgoUML"
  echo "Please install a JVM to run ArgoUML or "
  echo "set JAVA_HOME if it's not a JVM from a Debian Package."
  exit 1
fi

>> > Or just rewrite it in a language that has a working DFSG-free engine.  <grin>
>>
>> Be sure, I would do it if I had the time and experience with other
>> graphics engines. I hope to get it working with kaffe some day, but I
>> assume its still a long way.
>
> It gives you an interesting project - implement the graphics bits you need
> for kaffe...

kaffe, sablevm and jamvm have now improve graphics, it'll be time to
re-try your application with these free VM's and send bugs reports ;-)

Also, what is the status of the package?

Cheers,

--
  .''`.
 : :' :rnaud