Re: how buildd's work?

Laszlo 'GCS' Boszormenyi <gcs@lsc.hu> writes:

> Hi,
>
>  I contributed a very small amount to the subversion package. What I see
> from packages.qa.debian.org is that building it on alpha and other archs
> are failed as the newest apache2 cause trouble with the dependencies.
> The problem is that apache2 has an arch=all part, and arch=any ones as
> well; the arch=all part installed for the subversion dependency, but the
> arch=any parts are not available. Looking into apache2 build logs, I see
> on alpha and other archs it is not even tried to build. How that can
> happen if apache2 uploaded a day earlier than subversion, however
> apache2 is not even tried to build, but subversion is tried?

Packages are sorted by several aspects. The time of an upload it not
one of them. In fact the time of an upload has no effect
whatsoever.

subversion is "Priority: optional", "Section: devel"
apache2    is "Priority: optional", "Section: web"

I think sections are sorted lib first and then probably alphabetically
(its described somewhere in detail and in the source but I always
forget). Suffice it to say that newer uploads overtake older ones all
the time.

Check out http://buildd.net/ and the assorted links there detailing
aspects of the buildds.

>  If I would be a Debian Developer, what I could do to resolve such
> situations (I mean for example to force the apache2 build)?

Nothing.

Only thing you can do (DD or not) is wait some time (long time with
the current backlog) for the buildd admins to fix it on their own and
if that fails mail <arch>@buildd.debian.org with a polite reminder.

Well, not quite true, as DD you could build the package manually and
upload it directly. :)

MfG
        Goswin