Re: out-of-date-standards-version

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 12:39:22AM +0200, Olivier wrote:
> lintian complains:
>
>  out-of-date-standards-version 3.6.0
> N:
> N:   The source package refers to a 'Standards-Version' that is starting to
> N:   get out of date, compared to current Policy. You can safely ignore
> N:   this warning, but please consider updating the package to current
> N:   Policy.
>
> The reason I choose this standsards version, is that I can maintain both a
> woody backport and a normal package using this standard. Is that a valid
> reason?

It's certainly a better reason than "I couldn't be bothered", which is the
standard reason why people don't update their standards-version.

Looking at upgrading-checklist, the only change in 3.6.1 was a debconf
change.  Woody has debconf, and even if it didn't, or you need some feature
only present in Sarge's debconf, you could backport debconf to woody (or use
one of the pre-existing backports).

Ordinarily, I'd say "don't worry about it too much", because Sarge's release
is looming (and hence, in a couple of months time, a Woody backport won't be
of much interest), however manual prompting is a big problem for certain
segments of the community, so, if you really can't use Debconf for your
Woody backport prompting, some sort of workaround is recommended.  At the
very least, *please* guard your manual prompting with a
DEBCONF_FRONTEND=noninteractive check.

- Matt