Re: Build-Conficts: gcc-3.3, and varargs

On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 08:39:52PM -0400, Justin Pryzby wrote:

> The code uses <varargs.h> which gcc-3.3 doesn't support.  <stdarg.h> is
> the new standard.  I've done my best to convert the code, but I can't
> solve a crash in the of the functions I had to change.

This is the right approach, and your efforts are better spent tracking down
and fixing any problems with the conversion than trying to hold onto
gcc-3.2.

> If I read the code, it seems like there's something funky with the first
> variable argument.  What I have for now is:
>
> 	-Tcl_AppendResult(Tcl_Interp *interp, char *p, va_alist)
> 	+void Tcl_AppendResult(Tcl_Interp *interp, ...)

I can't find this particular code in the x11iraf package in Debian  (1.2-4).

This package seems to contain a complete copy of an ancient version of tcl
(7.3).  If that is where most of the problems lie, it might be less work to
convert it to use tcl 8.3 or 8.4, which are available in Debian and have
already been updated to use modern C syntax (being about 10 years newer than
7.3).

--
 - mdz