security fix dependency

Dear Mentors,

 I have a seemingly stupid question. Say I am not a DD yet, and has a
security bug in a package I help maintaining. Upstream fixed it, so the
package is ready, but upstream requires new library version from a
dependency than the current Debian version. Asked the library maintainer
recently to upgrade his package, but no answer yet. As the lib is small,
and it's new upstream version contains only bugfixes, I have packaged
it, based on the original maintainer's package. My questions:
- would it be wise to upload the lib to a delayed queue and note the
  maintainer or not?
- how should I change the version numbering? If I use the new upstream
  version, then lintian correctly see that as I am not in the Uploaders
  field, the packaging is an NMU but with wrong version number...

Thanks,
Laszlo/GCS