Re: RFS: Folding@home

Nick Lewycky <nicholas@mxc.ca> wrote:

> If there any sane way to autodetect a network connection? I'm strongly
> adverse to hassling anybody with extra debconf questions.
>
> I'll agree to a debconf question for it only if there's no good way to
> handle online and offline cases automatically. (This includes systems
> that might be set up to dial on outgoing connection attempts. However
> it detects the network should not trigger such a mechanism.)

Don't ask me... Well, perhaps "route" can do the trick. I'm not sure,
but I think even in a non-connected dialup system there has to be some
connection between the default route and the to-be connection. On an
ISDN system, there's a network device up even if not connected, but I'm
not sure for normal ppp connections.

[...]
> I don't get it. What would you want it to do if you ran it from the
> commandline?

Well, e.g. -queueinfo would be interesting, -verbosity might be useful,
-forceSSE or -forceasm might be better on certain systems, etc.

> If you do manage to get it running, it will proceed to download a new
> "machinedependent.dat", create a "queue" directory, download its
> FahCore*.exe files, and leave all this crap in the directory you ran
> it from. Not pretty.

That's bad. But one could create a wrapper script in /usr/bin

#!/bin/sh

FAHDIR=/var/lib/folding
EXECUTABLE=ForgotTheFancyName

cd $FAHDIR
$EXECUTABLE $*

> You can't reconfigure it, since you aren't running it as the
> "fahclient" user in the /var/lib/fahclient directory. You can't ask it
> for its queue information for the same reason.

So the wrapper would have to change it's UID - probably a case for a
perl script. I don't have any experience with such stuff, but there was
a discussion on this a while ago here in the group.

Regards, Frank
Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie