Debian vs RedHat init script

Hi!

I'm packaging netdump for Debian. The package comes with it's own
initscripts, which are RedHat specific. I had used the Debian template
for initscript, in my first attempt to package netdump. Using the
RedHat version of the initscript (maintained upstream), I edited
Debian template, to match the functionality provided by the RedHat
initscript.

Because of this, I have, now, two copies of initscripts (RedHat and
Debian), which my sponsor, thinks, is redundant. The initscripts
differ quite a bit, and I am not sure, if one format can be converted
to another, using simple commands (and thus, be able to maintain just
one copy).

How do the other packages, get around this? I would be glad, if you
would point me to specific packages, that have a (upstream maintained)
RedHat specific initscript within the package source.

Regards,

--
Chirag Kantharia, chirag.kantharia@hp.com