Re: apt doesn't handle properly the depends field or I'm missing something?

* Steve Langasek [Sat, 24 Jul 2004 14:29:16 -0700]:
> On Sat, Jul 24, 2004 at 09:18:41PM +0200, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> >   there was a thread [1] about this in debian-devel last month.

> >   [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2004/06/msg00133.html

> > > A package depends on "apache | apache-ssl | apache-perl | apache2, php4
> > > the first package of a set of alternatives, so if I run:

> >   I think that package should not depend on "php4 | php4-cgi |
> >   libapache2-mod-php4", but on phpapi-20020918, which all of those three
> >   packages provide.

> *NO*.  The phpapi-* virtual packages are not intended for use by
> applications written in PHP, they are there for packages which provide
> PHP extensions.

  ah, wasn't aware of that. then, perhaps those packages should provide
  "mod-php4" to ease situations like the one described? (which is what
  was proposed in the linked thread, to provide "mod-python") [I was of
  course assuming that phpapi-* ~== (equiv.) mod-python.]

  BTW, the python thing hasn't been fixed either. bugreports haven't
  been filed. anyway, was a reasonable solution?

--
Adeodato Simó
    EM: asp16 [ykwim] alu.ua.es | PK: DA6AE621

The easy way is the wrong way, and the hard way is the stupid way. Pick one.