Re: apt doesn't handle properly the depends field or I'm missing something?

* Fabio Tranchitella [Sat, 24 Jul 2004 21:08:23 +0200]:

> Is it possible to specify related alternative dependency? I'm thinking
> about something like this:

> Depends: [apache, php4] | [apache2, libapache2-mod-php4] | ....

  there was a thread [1] about this in debian-devel last month.

  [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2004/06/msg00133.html

> A package depends on "apache | apache-ssl | apache-perl | apache2, php4
> | php4-cgi | libapache2-mod-php4". I know that apt automatically install
> the first package of a set of alternatives, so if I run:

  I think that package should not depend on "php4 | php4-cgi |
  libapache2-mod-php4", but on phpapi-20020918, which all of those three
  packages provide.

  I'd file a bug, or at least talk to the maintainer to know if there is
  a reason not to make that change.

  cheers,

--
Adeodato Simó
    EM: asp16 [ykwim] alu.ua.es | PK: DA6AE621

America may be unique in being a country which has leapt from barbarism
to decadence without touching civilization.
                -- John O'Hara