Re: Looking for Mentor

* Joshua Bernstein <bjosh@engr.arizona.edu> [2004-07-19 18:22:29 -0700]:

> The debian packages and files can be found here:
>
> http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~bjosh/
 Just fetched.

> I know they aren't perfect, but its the first one I've done, so I'd
> like to have some help!
 There are some mistakes: first, please try to split off the source;
name the 'upstream' source _only_ to ncview_1.92e.orig.tar.gz and let
debuild or anything else you use to build your package to generate a
diff for it. Also, building fails right off at the configure:
checking for /root/src/netcdf/netcdf-3.4/src/libsrc/netcdf.h... no
Error: I cannot find the directory that holds the netcdf include file netcdf.h!

Please remove debian/ncview.doc-base.EX (example file, and you don't use
it), debian/README.Debian (it's empty, useless).
Looking into the source, I see you directly program X11, but you don't
have any build dependencies on it in debian/control (do you need
interface/x_interface.orig.c btw?).
Please remove the unused (commented out lines) from debian/rules
Please fix debian/copyright , if there's only one upstream author, then
you don't need the (s) at the end, a pointer to
/usr/share/common-licenses/GPL would be good, etc. Please look into
other packages' copyright file (someone have a good link how a copyright
file should like, please speak up).

I think we can help you more if you fixed these. For additional help,
please see:
http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/
http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/